Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Media
In the contemporary world, most people rely on social media for entertainment, news, advertisements and so on. Now days a one can use the social media and get any form of data that he or she requires. The use of social media has transformed the society into a global village where people can interact freely within a span of a second. However, most people focus on the benefits of social media without considering it’s drawbacks. Social media has several advantages such as easy access of data, free interaction, and so on. On the other hand, it has various disadvantages such as, lack of privacy, fraud, theft and so on. This primary focus of this paper is the advantages and disadvantages of social media as given.
The use of social media has many disadvantages of easily obtainable data, such as searching things, services and the ability to download things. The internet provides many businesses means to aid service customers today. In the modern world, instead of mailing bills, a person just needs to sign into the web and deliver the payment with just a single click, or even carry out some shopping without leaving home (Clarke, 2010). This result in looking for things, thousands of institutions and groups moving to online, most of the groups becoming aggressive in promoting their existence through the use of search engines, banner advertisements and email lists. Also, an individual is capable of downloading games, movies, and watch favorite television shows for free.
Though the advantages of social media seem great, there are disadvantages associated with easily obtainable data through the internet. Some of them are viruses, personal information, theft and accuracy (Dewing, 2010). When a person is searching for things on the internet or online, he or she may be asked his or her personal information like social security number, name and address or credit card number. When one enters such information, it offers a chance for hackers to acquire information about the person and utilize it for their own benefits. Moreover, going on web pages looking for things exposes a computer for viruses. Manywebsites, send viruses and aware as well as malicious programs that can slow the processor of the computer and some cases harm it. Likewise, accuracy is required because not everything in the social media is reliable and accurate. Any individual can post anything on the internet making it hard for some people to acknowledge reliable sources.
The issue of credibility is another thing that most people worry about because of the success of the social media. Any person is capable of getting or posting anything that he or she want in the social media. Moreover, there is no open standard for posting data online and digital data may be easily modified, misrepresented, false and plagiarized. Unless an individual acknowledges the credibility of the sources, he or she may get illegitimate information. Nevertheless, the social media enhance the link between people’s all over the world (Clarke, 2010). Itenables a person to have a chance to meet and interact with people in other areas and share similar goals, beliefs or interest. It is similar as keeping one in touch with the people around. As a matter of fact, military people use social media to acknowledge what is happening around them instead of waiting for contacts. Social media is also free and any person can join about any web page without paying anything out of pocket. Such process is advantageous for small business that want to establish their identity in the market.
Social media is somewhat impersonal. A person can have social drama and at the same time danger (Coiera, 2008). Besides, everything about social media is online, thus an individual does not have a chance to get to talk to another person either face to face or through the phone. This makes it tranquil for some people to fake things or make other people think they are something that they are not, which ties to the aspect of danger. Most people have pretended to be others in social media so as to acquire trust from other people and then turn against them.
In conclusion, it is good for people to acknowledge both the advantages and disadvantages of social media because they can aid take the essential steps to enjoy the social media and be on the safe side of the negative impacts of the social media. If people acknowledge what is happening within the social media, they get a clear view of what to anticipate and whether or not it is something that would want or would do without it. Social media has become part of the peoples lives. People’s cannot escape from the disadvantages of the social media as long they continue using it without a clear view about it. It is all about the direction an individual select and on how to go about it. Nevertheless, social media plays a significant role in the society as well as all over the world, and with the increasing growth of technology, it is likely that social media grow with it. Thus, it is good to consider the advantages and disadvantages of social media since its activities will probably increase in future.
Clarke, A. (2010). Social media. Ottawa: Library of Parliament.
Coiera, E. (2008). Social networks, social media, and social diseases.BMJ, F3007-F3007.
Dewing, M. (2010).Social media. Ottawa: Library of Parliament.
Merits and Demerits of Social Networking sitesJitendra12:32 pm
Sep 19 • General • 105881 Views • 70 Comments on Merits and Demerits of Social Networking sites
oureducation.in Register Your Coaching
Social networking sites
Social networking refers to the use of online social networks such as Facebook, twitter, Hi5 and Google+ to communicate with other people. A social network can include blogs and ways to share text and ideas, groups,private messaging, a chat facility and file- or photo-sharing functions. Social Networking sites have always opened the gates of debates among users and non users. Are Social Networking sites Boon or Bane?
Need of social networking sites:
Social networking is fundamentally shifting the way we interact, communicate, organize, form opinions, and even shop. Its blurring boundaries, increasing transparency and creating ﬂuidity in everything we do. Growing rapidly, companies, large and small, can no longer ignore or try to block social networking in their environment. The reality is you need to go where your target audiences are – and people are more likely to participate in a social media forum than any other venue. Customers, partners, and employees, alike expect to engage with you via social media – it’s a way for you to stay connected, gather feedback, recruit, and collaborate. As a result, you need to support social media in your environment to enable the innovation, increased productivity, and accelerated growth that will drive your business.
Some examples of popular social networking sites:
Facebook: Facebook is a social networking site that allows people to communicate with their friends and exchange information. In May 2007 Facebook launched the Facebook Platform which provides a framework for developers to create applications.
social networking sites are good for society or just waste of time
MySpace: MySpace is a social networking site offering an interactive, user-submitted network of friends, personal profiles, blogs and groups, commonly used for sharing photos, music and videos
Twitter: Twitter is an example of a micro-blogging service. Twitter can be used in a variety of ways including sharing brief information with users and providing support for one’s peers.
G+ OR Google+ :Here while describing about social networking sites we can not miss BIG G Google+ , Although It has not been able to create proper niche in social sites uptill now but business class is pushing it just to help its pages to get upper ranking in google search , Although G+ , according to me is better in terms of features than all other networking sites but then even shifting from facebook , twitter to G+ for normal consumer will take lot of time and we will have to see how long it takes.
Merits of social networking sites
- Finding Good People: Social Networking sites like LinkedIn are a great resource for business owners to find new talent or even partners for a new venture.
- Free Business Promotion: This is probably the biggest advantage for business owners using social networking sites. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and many others are great forums for you to talk about your business, your services and even exhibit your industry expertise.
- Low Cost Advertising: Some social networking sites provide a business owner with the opportunity to advertise to a very specific demographic for very little money. So you can advertise to exactly the customer that you want to attract and save money versus other forms of advertising.
- Application: Through social networking sites, we can get attention of huge number of our target customers at a time, so it can be used to promote business, to advertise for our business, to take taste of the customers that what changes they want. It can be used as a platform to promote and advertise business.
- Build your credibility:By consistently interacting and posting a person can build trust and credibility amongs their audience which in turn can lead to more business.
- Ease of Communication:Social networking sites allow you a fast and free resource for communicating with your customers and potential customers. Announce sales, promotions, special events and more by simply typing your message and posting it to your page or profile.
Demerits of social networking sites
- Privacy: Nowadays, the social-networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter are open for anyone who wants to participate. On social networking sites users express very powerful concerns about privacy of their personal information, but do not care about safeguarding it. Although a lot of the information individuals’ supply on social-networking sites is elective, users are progressively more comfortable with displaying a great deal of personal information online. Therefore, one of the main concerns for users who register in these sites is privacy. So, the privacy is one of the obstacles that have faced the use of social networking in education.
- Real friendship: Through social networking, person has a lot of friend but the quality and integrity of these friendships is not always true. On the other hand, data on these social-networking sites for a person is not always 100% honest and reliable, and they do not verify personal details (age, location, etc.) of their members. While sites provide an opportunity for individuals to present a positive and accurate self-image, there is an equal potential to abuse this openness. So, having many friends through social networking sites is likely to be more harmful than good.
- Time consumption: The amount of time spent by individuals with each other online has risen to greater extent. This has effect on health of individuals, because spending a lot of time browsing these social networks can affect the way the genes operate within the human body, and weakens the immune and hormone levels. In addition, it is also has an impact on mental health. Moreover, the use of social networking in the education can cause lack of motivation towards learning and can be boring sitting in front of computer for a long time.
- Through social networking one can increase own language and communication skill. Being a member of a social network, he become a part of a world community.
- Social networking sites would be very much useful for studies if used efficiently.
- Social networking sites have already conquered the minds of not only young people but also adult people all over the world. It can offer a large scale of interactivity and connectivity without boundaries of distance. It can also evolve as a social media which shares and deals the things from bedroom to parliament. It can become the best media for information transferring media.
usefullness of social networking sites
CONCLUSION: Social network has made the life of people more easy and interesting, its negative impact has created insecurity among them. Everything has some good effects and some bad effects but it fully depends on individual how to utilize good effect and how to convert bad effects into good effects. At last I would like to conclude “SOCIAL MEDIA SHOULD IMPROVE YOUR LIFE, NOT BECOME YOUR LIFE!”.
It is just social networking sites which offers people to express views FREE of any boundaries and has made every one Journalist.
My conclusion is that Whole social networks are good and it should be used with intelligence…
We value your suggestions feel free to comment below in the comment box.
Top Group Discussion Topics for Placement
Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Networking Sites
Social Networking Sites are GOOD or BAD !!
Please rate this
Are social networking sites waste of timehelpfulness of social networking sitesmerits demerits of social networking sitessocial networking sites are good or bad
About the Author: Jitendra
« Career at Accenture with Recruitment process of AccentureVerify the Triangle Law of Forces and Lami’s Theorem »