International Union of Operating Engineers Local 825 is pleased to announce the following Academic and Special Scholarship Award for 2018:
- Six academic scholarship awards of $2,500.00 per academic year for four years
- Three $2,500.00 special scholarships per academic year for four years, one in each of the following categories:
- Outstanding Student-Athlete
- Outstanding Student Service
- Outstanding Appreciation/Understanding of Unionism and the Labor Movement
Scholarship winners will be selected based upon demonstrated academic achievement, quality of essay, and commitment to unionism and community service. Special scholarship winners will be selected based upon their extraordinary achievement in respective category.
We encourage applicants to apply for the academic scholarship and multiple special scholarships. However, only one award will be awarded to an applicant.Local 825 reserves the right not to issue a specific scholarship if it is determined that there is not a particularly “outstanding” candidate in any of the three categories.
- Child or Grandchild of a union member of Local 825 in good standing
- High School Graduate of the Class of 2018
- Acceptance as a full-time student at a four year college or university
[Click here to download the 2018 Application]
Scholarship and grant applicants are required to submit all of the following materials:
- Cover Sheet
- SAT scores / ACT scores
- High School transcripts
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from teachers, employers or civic leaders that describe the applicant’s contributions (both past and potential) to his/her school and neighborhood communities.
- One short essay (approximately 500 words in length) that discusses the applicant’s aspirations and how union values have influenced his/her life choices.
- Additional, optional, supporting materials.
Note: Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
The deadline for all completed applications is April 6, 2018 (as postmarked). Applicants are responsible for assembling all application materials. Submit all materials (including copies of high-school transcript and letters of recommendation) by regular mail.
Applicants will receive timely acknowledgment of their submitted application and award.
Scholarship winners will be notified by May 8, 2018. The six academic scholarship winners and the three special scholarship winners will be invited to attend a scholarship dinner, in their honor, hosted by Local 825 in June 2018.
How to Submit Your Application
By regular mail
Send all materials in one packet and mail it to:
Local 825 Scholarship Program
c/o Prof. Carla A. Katz
Labor Education Center
50 Labor Center Way
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Scan all materials into one PDF file and send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This Local 825 Scholarship Program is administered by Prof. Katz of Rutgers University. Please contact Prof. Katz for any further questions or concerns regarding the scholarship and grants application by email at email@example.com or by phone at 848-932-1921.
This program offers three awards: First place, $2,500. Second place, $1,500. Third place, $1,000.
Students are eligible if they have a parent or guardian who is a member in good standing in a local union which is affiliated with the Middlesex and Somerset Counties AFL-CIO Labor Counci, l or if the applicant is a union member.
In addition, applicants also must:
- Provide verification of acceptance at a post-secondary educational institution and verification of a B average or above in the graduating class.
- Write an essay of not less than 250 words on the subject of the Labor Movement detailed on the application form. Instructions are found on the application form.
Completed application and essay must be postmarked by Friday, April 17, 2017 and mailed to Frank Burke, whose address is found on the application.
Middlesex-Somerset Counties AFL-CIO Labor Council’s Raymond A. Peterson Scholarship Application Form